I'm now realizing how much slower a build goes with no budget. But moving right along...
Our free clutch came in. Looked like new. Came with a new throwout bearing. It seemed to go on a little loose so I assumed it was the "revision B" setup that comes with a steel sleeve that goes over the quill on the trans. So hunt fucking everywhere for this sleeve and turn up nothing. Went to carquest to get a very scarce TOB kit with the sleeve. The whole time thinking about how I could take the sleeve out and return it (you gotta do what you gotta do). When I got there it became apparent that I wasn't the only one with that frame of mind, because the box that showed up at the counter contained no bearing and 2 sleeves. After giving the clerk my tale of woe, he just hands me one of the sleeves. Score. So it's day5 on the superbudget clutch job and I realize that my TOB fits nothing I have. In fact, it's for a mustang. Hmmm, the inside of the bearing is plastic...
I look at press.
I look at the steel sleeve that just barely doesn't fit inside.
I look at blowtorch.
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you "revision C".
I've since taken the time to strip the drivetrain down to the bare essentials. Replace a LCA that only cost me a trade for parts +$16 shipping. Rerouted/deleted some cooling system. Removed the power steering and threw it away. This left me with only the problematic alternator, supposedly the only reason this engine doesn't have a 8500rpm redline from the factory. The bearings in it sounded rough to begin with, so I dissassembled it, pulled the shields off the bearings, cleaned, and put new grease. Then what I did was swap the alt over to the left side of the motor to the ps pump position and use it's belt combined with a crude belt tension adjuster. This accomplished a few things.
-Down to only 1 accessory belt.
-Removed both belt tensioners.
-Alt is now underdriven @2000rpm at redline.
With all the time it took to install the clutch, we started on the important stuff. Making it look cool. It begins with skinning a junk industrial refer unit, complete with rotten cheese smells. Must harvest that precious sheetmetal.
Found this old fencepost in the front yard. Should work well as fender reinforcement for the impending contact during the race.
A local Scion guy game me a broken aero bumper for my bB last spring. I fiberglassed it back together, put it on my box, then promptly smashed it to pieces on my driveway. For some reason, I kept the damn thing and now here it is sectioned and respliced for everyone to enjoy.
Time to get serious.
Eric has trouble following the blueprints.
Don't worry. Dat wing is still on there. Moved it to the hatch where it belongs.