Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: LS1 being a douche...your thoughts?  (Read 2490 times)
Happy240sx

« on: August 24, 2012, 08:44:05 PM »

So my car has sat for the better part of a year. Took it bodyshop to get cleaned up and now it's acting like a total douche.

Symptoms.
- HUGE clouds of oil smoke at WOT
- Blowing dipstick
- still feels like it's making the right/same power.

So, I assumed some ring issues, did a compression check and got 180 across the board. Motor seems healthy.
I know LS1 PCV's are shit so assumed PCV issue and oil getting into intake. Took intake off and a pool of oil spilled out. Sweet, that must be it. Cleaned everything up and installed an awesome elite engineering catch-can...took it for a rip. Smoke. Lots

So, at this point the only way the oil can get in there is through the valve seals...but fuck, there is so much smoke I just can't beleive this to be the case.

Any other LS1 or smart motor dudes have any issue like this?
Vosko

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 08:53:59 PM »

jwang had similar issues, not sure what he did to fix it though
Sterling Archer

aka Plex

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 02:30:57 AM »

hmm you try sea-foaming it really well then changing the oil? I'd try simple shit like that first, since it could just be a stuck seal or something stupid like that... It was fine when you put it away so I don't know of anything else that would just shit the bed like that besides a seal

Broke-ass FD with LS2
Quote from: OG Darkdrifter
Yeah dude. ZT is like the communist party. Except no one gets anything.
carbotron

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 02:44:34 AM »

you try a new air filter? bodyshop, dust, oil in intake sounds like high vacuum..
Happy240sx

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 07:10:15 PM »

Getting it leaked down this week...that should point to the culprit.
Chin

slow your roll

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 09:26:50 PM »

valve seals moving up on the valve. Had it happen to me.

N/A Single Cam, 400+RWHP
Happy240sx

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 10:30:54 AM »

Oh man, I hope it's something that simple.
Sasha holy fuck

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 10:43:22 AM »

Danno, the oil level isn't way over filled by any chance is it?

I find it hard to believe valve seals would cause you to pop the dipstick

-Sasha
sanis@onpointdyno.com
OnPoint Dyno
Kels Blog Updates Here
Sasha holy fuck

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 10:44:42 AM »

Also,

If the intake is still full of oil (the manifold) it may smoke for a while even after the issue cleans up?

-Sasha
sanis@onpointdyno.com
OnPoint Dyno
Kels Blog Updates Here
LittleMunny

the cowl hood S13 guy

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 12:34:52 PM »

Throw new valve seals in it and switch to a LS6 valley cover and valve covers and be done with it. Do a cool cam and springs too if you're gonna be doing the seals too, only make sense to make it idle all cool too.

Also, it could very well be the oil rings. My old LS1 from 09/10 had 170's across the board for compression and it smoked like a bastard on decel and between shifts. New valve seals when i did the cam swap in it too. Food for thought.

How many miles are on this motaarrr? Anything done to it or is it bone stock?

but vettes rule and its mostly cuz of their pushrod drivetrain
Happy240sx

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 03:51:14 PM »

Danno, the oil level isn't way over filled by any chance is it?

I find it hard to believe valve seals would cause you to pop the dipstick

To be honest, not to sure. It is to the max line on the sikky dipstick for the sikky pan, but I'm not too sure sikky is tech enough to have considered the max oil requirements of the motor.

If I knew the stock oil requirements of the motor I could just drop the oil and only put in what is required, regardless of the dipstick fill line. I guess I can find this info easy enough.
Happy240sx

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 03:53:22 PM »

Also,

If the intake is still full of oil (the manifold) it may smoke for a while even after the issue cleans up?

Well, I had the whole manifold off and literally bathed in it TB cleaner and soapy water a few times. I suppose there could still be a bunch of oil in the top of the combustion chambers. Perhaps a good seafoaming is in order.
Happy240sx

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 03:55:09 PM »

Throw new valve seals in it and switch to a LS6 valley cover and valve covers and be done with it. Do a cool cam and springs too if you're gonna be doing the seals too, only make sense to make it idle all cool too.

Also, it could very well be the oil rings. My old LS1 from 09/10 had 170's across the board for compression and it smoked like a bastard on decel and between shifts. New valve seals when i did the cam swap in it too. Food for thought.

How many miles are on this motaarrr? Anything done to it or is it bone stock?

Shit idles cool already. This is a cam-only motor making 421rwhp. Comp Cam 228/232 on a 112lsa and pretty much every external bolt-on.
Happy240sx

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 04:23:12 PM »

Just went out to the car to check if my new Elite Engineering catch-can is working.

In less than 20kms of driving, it has collected about 1 full cup of oil. WTF.

Checking the oil level on the dipstick and it still reads full. Sikky says these things need 7qrts and to honest I don't actually know how much is in this thing.

LittleMunny

the cowl hood S13 guy

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 05:08:58 PM »

Stock GTO with filter change is just under 8 quarts. On my GTO pan car i just put 8 quarts in and call it good.
Sikky pan and filter to full is like, almost 9 quarts or something, at least mine is.

I'd start with changing your PCV setup to LS6 style. I've swapped all my cars to it since seeing how shitty the stock LS1 pcv system is. When I had my Elite can on a stock LS1 setup it would get full and we'd empty it twice or more in a day/weekend of drifting. Jwang is having the same issues with his stock LS1 system.

LS6 Valley cover and LS6/LS2/gen4 valve covers with the elite can and see how that does. I'd hold off on anything else till you do that.

but vettes rule and its mostly cuz of their pushrod drivetrain
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to: